Sometimes it is difficult to understand the mechanism of an OS, especially if you work with it for the first time. The most popular file types are regular files and directories but there are also 5 other types about which absolutely everyone should know. Today’s article is going to be useful for many beginners.
To start configuration and understanding different commands, you need to pay attention to the fastest VPS in the United Kingdom https://host-world.com/united-kingdom. There is only one command you should know. It is the command “ls”. For example: $ ls -ld <file name>. Use it if you want to know about all the files in the directory. But you also need to understand the seven commands which define the object type.
Which file types should you know?
- A regular file “-“. It is the most common file type in Linux. It stores character and binary data;
- Directories “d”. A directory is a file where lists of names or different files are stored. All files must store in the directories;
- Symbolic links “l”. A symbolic link is a file whose data contains the address of another file by its name;
- Block device file “b” or character device “c” (they are the same). Device files are intended for accessing computer hardware (disks, printers, terminals). The character device allows character by character to be addressed. An example of the latter would be a terminal;
- Local socket file “s” or named pipe “p”. They are the rarest commands in the Linux system. Socket files can send information in different directions, while named pipes can only in one direction. You need to know the mechanism of such command if you want to work as a software developer;
- A special command “file” can determine the file type. It looks for the file content and makes an assumption.
As you can see, it is not difficult to understand different commands. Knowledge of them makes your work easier. By the way, more information and the most quality servers you can find here – https://host-world.com/.